But only a couple of shots...
The clan is Miyoshi carrying on from some of the first Perry samurai figures that I painted many years ago. The unfortunate thing being is that the Miyoshi clan got wiped out in the latter half of the 16th century... bit of a bugger when I'm interested in the late Sengoku period.
The shot to the left shows the rear of the group and the commanders
Sunday, 12 June 2011
Tuesday, 7 June 2011
It always seems one of those underlying debates on how trees should be based and represented on the gaming table, of course fielding a realistic forest would be impractical (spectacular, but impractical) and using small, shiny Christmas tree decorations just doesn't look the part. I like to have reasonable looking, large trees on the table but basing has been a question I've had for them.
Small individual bases can be made in the same way to allow for stand alone trees, the other advantage being is that the trees can be used for pretty much any theatre in which the fit, all I need to do is make some new bases for the terrain type.
The type of tree can also be altered to suit, I have plenty of pines for the northern campaign (or indeed anywhere in need of pines on the table).
I've also made a few cross rail fences (need a hell of a lot more though ). Quite happy with the way these turned out but they are a bit fragile (already broken two). I might make corner sections but that might be going a bit too far...
Beauty shots in the next post :-)
Sunday, 5 June 2011
I will also have to make corners (both internal and external) and of course a gateway but I'm happy with the way this has come out.
The wall is 100mm high and the the length is 200mm. Depth on the top is a plentiful 50mm and the depth at the base is about 95mm. These dimensions could change but not enough to make much difference.
I'm probably going to have three different top wall choices as looking through the books I have there are so many variations on a theme that it's almost impossible to make a catch all (well, I think so anyway. Once you start to research deeply into anything, even the smallest difference in things becomes apparent).
I only wish that the real thing would be as easy to make as the mock up :-) In fact, it's almost tempting to make a whole castle this way and colour it in and use that... But being the purist that I am, it's not going to happen.
I've started on the gateway for the yamashiro but there's not enough really to show at the moment but when it's ready it'll be posted :-)
A wall section with a small building attached
A large barracks (similar to the one already available)
A tenshu or keep, smallish but useable
30 degree internal and external corners
A couple of small ancillary buildings
And if time and cost permit, a corner tower built into the wall.
Well, that's it for now, the walls will probably go into the mould this evening but I want to get on and finish the AWI house from the earlier posts :-)
Saturday, 4 June 2011
I've also done a small village layout as per my clients instructions. I've done these before and I quite like the way that they have turned out.
I'm going to put another couple of layers of varnish on the paddy field but it's a last thing at night job because it stinks and I can put it in the attic to dry over night. The little shack was added because of an illustration from a wood block print that I found in a book and it seemed to be the right thing to do.
Most of the weekend will be spent on OSHIRO as I have a few things to catch up on and I'll probably post them here in due course.
Now for breakfast :-D
Although, I've just realised that the chimney is missing :-/ Well, it'll give me something to do tomorrow morning before breakfast.
Some of the roof tiles/shingles have been lifted up a bit to give a bit more texture to the roof itself, I might do a few more but we'll see after a coat of paint because it's something that can be done afterwards as well as during the construction.
There are more photos on my Photobucket page and when I figure out how to link to it I shall do in one of the side bars.
The roof of the Lienster house is removable but the roof on the new build is stuck. No particular rhyme or reason, they just turned out this way.
For the final shot I've set up a rough beauty shot (rough being a nice way to put it), when the new build is painted I'll take them out into the garden with a terrain board or two and take some decent photos :-)
Friday, 3 June 2011
At the moment there is about 11 foot of road and 44 inches of snake fencing. For the road I have three junctions, one of two and two of one (branches coming off). the snake fencing comes in either 8" or 16" and at the moment I have the capacity to make another 104" worth, a job for a rainy day methinks ;-)
If you are wondering about the white-ish line going across underneath the fencing in the picture above, I base almost everything of this nature on clear perspex and the white is the light gathering through it and showing up on the edge. You can only tell on certain angles though and on the table top it doesn't really make any difference.
I also have some terrain boards that have traveled with me and done service in the samurai games that I have put on at Salute in years past, so if all goes well with the weather I shall get them out and have a little mock up. I've also got three battalions of British ready to go but more on them later.
That's all for now as I have to go to work... ttfn
Thursday, 2 June 2011
It might take a couple of weeks to complete as I've got a huge load of stuff on the go, some of which will appear here but the intention is to upload with photos of what I'm doing at least twice a week... We'll see...