Monday, 5 February 2018

Down in the jungle...

This has been quite a big commission and I have ever so slightly regretted doing it. Not because of the work but because there were so many of them and they have been pretty much the same. 30 bases in total lol

The mdf bases, Amourcast plants, GW plants and some flock were supplied but the bases needed a chamfer on the edges.

Most of the plants were sprayed varying colours and given a wash of inks, again of varying colours and then drybrushed up. Certain details were hand painted using a normal layering technique and other bits were touched up here and there.

The ground was car body filler, smoothed on in place then roughed up for a texture. All of the Amourcast items were stuck on first given the nature of the bases that they have. The ground was painted in a normal way and then given a liberal amount of growies, some supplied and some of my own.

Not much else to say really so onto the piccys. The first couple are of some select ones and the latter pictures are of the whole lot together (please excuse the carpet). There's also a video of them close up (if it works).


Saturday, 3 February 2018

And now for something completely Victorian

Just a quickie tonight of a simple Victorian style factory building for my Martian VSF project. The main body was drawn from scratch but the chimney and fortified tower I've had for a while (the chimney is in the catalogue and the tower will be soon).

Originally I was going to have a viaduct section popping out the top but, as you will see in a series of VSF posts coming soon, doing the stone work would have taken too long.

It's all 2mm lasered acrylic, sprayed red and cream and then given a brown ink wash, drybrushed with a couple of differing shades. Windows are 1mm acrylic and sprayed white with a thinned down ink wash. The pavement was 2mm and again sprayed tan and speckled with a few choice colours and then inked and drybrushed.

I've got some signs to do but I'm waiting until the sheet I'm printing out is full otherwise it's a bit of a waste.

Picture time!


Thursday, 1 February 2018

And yet another Chinese building base

The last one for now. I've got some more buildings being mastered at the moment and when these are done I'll do some more building bases but for the time being, this is it.

Not much to say apart from the fact that everything apart from the compound walls and front building roof has been scratch built.

We have been using the Fist Full of Lead rules recently and are enjoying them greatly and it's not too much of a push to convert them for Boxer Rebellion (Pipe Full of Opium maybe...) so with any luck in a week or two ll the building bases along with some other bits and pieces will see some action :-)

Enough wordage, on to the pictures!


Thursday, 25 January 2018

Akira 3

The vehicles so far.

Being an urban environment there needs to be plenty of vehicles, either in use in the game or as set dressing.

I've bought plenty of die cast toy cars from Japan around the 1:48-1:56 scale and have dirtied them down a bit but these will be for set dressing only. The main vehicles so far are below but I've got plans for some serious police hardware (think Patlabor) and have a couple of plamodel kits for them.

The first police tech is an oop walker from Antenocitis Workshop (I fortunately managed to get hold of a second one). The paint job is based loosely on Patlabor but I need to get a Japanese police star to go on the front, probably 3d printed. It's quite possibly a bit dirty but with the project being slightly distopian I figured it didn't matter that much.

The second walker is I think from Micropanzer and is painted as a military test piece but has been stolen by a separatist group (or something similar, haven't quite decided yet).

There's also a SWAT van, or it might be a private security firm as I haven't added any decals yet. I was challenged to light it up which in the end turned out to be quite fun. There's also an Antenocitis' smart car that wasgoing to have a swish red and gold paint job but the masking liquid reacted with the paint and so I had to rescue it by doing a beat up, rusted version; I think it turned out quite well.

The last vehicle is a bit of silliness in the form of a 'Girls und Panzer' tank (I've got two but no photos of the second one). The tank is 1:48 but I was surprised as to how small it is. The colour scheme is made up as I'm not copying the anime directly, just using it for inspiration.

That’s it for the one being for this project, there’s plenty more to show but I want to move onto my large VSF project, “Japanese on Mars” along with other commission work.


Thursday, 18 January 2018

Akira 2

Express way.

One of the larger features of the Japanese urban landscape is the raised expressways that wind their way through the cities. Of course this is a good opportunity to get some serious level changes on the board.

The board is made up from 300mm x 300mm lasered squares and the expressway preferably had to fit this. Each 'section' is supported underneath with a concrete stanchion (made from chemiwood) and has two roadways on top, each side has one way traffic.

The intention is to have lights both underneath (in a limited capacity) and on the expressway itself. I do have some photos of the top lit up but I can't find them at the moment. The road surface is medium grit sandpaper and everything else is either lasered or made from chemiwood.