This where all my hobby and OSHIRO items will be posted. It's an eclectic mix but hopefully there's a bit of something for most people (if not everyone :-).
SALUTE 2012 progress
The basic layout is shown to the right, about half the board is river with a typical Japanese bridge crossing it and the other half is a more common area of the town.
The parallel lines are the gutters, more on which later. The main construction is of 12mm MDF (generic wood, resin and glue composite) which, although heavy, gives a sturdy platform on which to build and paint.
The bridge is the main feature on this 2x2 board so a bit of time was spent on it. Finding reference was easy, I didn't even have to look in my reference folder, a quick google image search was all that was needed.
To build something like this the most important thing is to jig it up right at the start.
As Japanese bridges are on the whole arched each set of legs (five in total) had to have a seperate jig, all that was needed though was to slightly alter the height of the drawing and then cut out the parts on the laser, assemble them and place the balsa parts.
The 'banking' is made from a yellow insulation foam (the same type used in the corner paddy fields). This has been pounded with a suitable rock and then the stonework marked on with a sharp pen.
Small 'bridges' were made over the gutters out of thin balsa to give the appearance of allowing the town dwellers access to their houses/shops. The river was also painted at this stage with varying greens and given several coats of yacht varnish.
As ever, I'll leave you with some more shots of the complete board. A better discription on the whole project will be in the next post in the coming week or so.
Japanese village base
The brief was quite simple, a village base of three to four buildings on a foot square base with enough room for an Impetus base and a cherry tree :-)
I was originally going for a simple cross road layout but after a bit of though I changed it slightly to a tee junction with a smaller 'lane' leading off the top of the tee (as can be seen in later photos).
As you can see from the photo on the left, the two rear buildings have been moved closer together. This helps give the base a more rural and random feel instead of the regimented layout in the photo at the top. The buildings were dirtied down somewhat as well.
A couple of rough fences and hedges were added also. The hedges are supposed to represent bamboo hedges of the type that were grown over there. The bamboo would be tightly grown and bound to form the length and breadth of the hedge and they would be trimmed periodically to keep the height down. It seems to have worked on the model but I'm always looking out for something that would be better.
It should fit well with the rest of the terrain that I have made for this group (nice bunch of chaps in sunny Scotland) and hopefully there should be some more in the offing which will be nice. I believe they are putting on a demo game at Carronade on the first of May, so if you are in the area drop by a have a shufty ;-) I'll leave you with some more beauty shots.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)