Friday, 19 July 2013

And now the terrain for the figures

Following on from my last post about War of the Roses and Game of Thrones I mentioned that I would post some terrain relating to it. This time has now come (albeit rather later than intended).

The first piece, which is complete, was actually started about 12 years ago I think just after when I finished university. I only finished it a couple of months ago so this makes it the longest running project of mine (so far...).




It was meant as a tower house for my GW Empire force (back when I still used to play GW) but now it will certainly suffice for a holdfast for Game of Thrones and a tower house for the War of the Roses at a push. The details are a bit more on the fantastical side but I think I can get away with it.


The tower is made from card with the walls being 1.5mm mounting card and the bricks from thin, normal card. They were all stuck on individually along with the roof tiles and it was rather therapeutic to do :-)

Nothing special about the painting but I did give it a bit more weathering than normal to give it a windswept look.

The other piece that I'll be doing is a Peel tower. This one is based on Dalton castle on the Furness peninsular (about four miles from my home town) and I believe it's the most southern Peel tower going but I may be wrong.

Just the basics for now but I should be putting the details on at some point over the next week or two.

It's from a cast Wills sheet so there might be a few bubbles in it but they shouldn't be too noticeable.



Both are based on 160mm diameter discs and the idea is to make some simple surrounding walls with a corresponding hole to allow both towers to be swapped round depending on what we decide to play.

The style of the walls (as with most things I need to do) is undecided as of yet but it'll be a choice of wooden palisade or simple stone. Only time will tell :-)

ttfn






Monday, 1 July 2013

And now for some figures

For those of you that front the LAF you'll have seen these before but I thought I would post them here before returning from Japan and carrying on with other projects that I intend to show.

It's a long term War of the Roses/Game of Thrones project that includes terrain and figures alike.  The figures are mainly Perrys as having seen other peoples projects on the same they seem to be the most suitable for both.

The WotR initial retinue is of the fictional character, Sir John Aspley of Guildford. A simple colour scheme of blue and pale green with a white crescent (I later found that I have probably put it on the wrong side of the tunics but never mind...).


This is the retinue as it stands at the moment. The advantage with using Perry figures for both projects is that several of them will be able to be used in both settings (I might even use the WotR figures as a small house from the Reach or some such).

I have a few more undercoated at home and will hopefully put some paint on them this coming week including a converted character for Sir John himself.

The GoT project has been inspired by the TV program and although I'm working my way though the books it does look very good and I like their take on it.

My chosen main house is the Karstarks (mainly as the sigil is fairly easy compared to most) and again they will be mostly Perrys with some conversions (woollen additions and cloaks etc to imply soldiers from the winters north).

The hero is a Gripping Beast Age of Arthur figure with a head, shield and sword hand swap, fairly easy but gives an impression of a different figure all together.


The details on his shield were done with a technical pen and are the same as the banner (I haven't taken a decent shot of his shield yet).

I also wanted to try some different coloured armour so went for black on the banner bearer and my do some more of the same that would work for a household guard or some such.


And what is a project without terrain... The unfortunate thing is that the pictures of said terrain are on my phone but I will sort out a separate post with it in when I return on Wednesday.

Just as a final shot we have all the figures so far, not many I know but they get more :-)


On a final note, bravo to Blogger for allowing the placement of pictures in the post content on the pad :-)

ttfn