16/08/2017

A journey to the Empire

The Games Workshop fantasy setting that is.

I've always like the original figures for the GW range, along with the setting and to some extent the first plastics (and metal additions for it) and so I though it was time to get out some very old builds and begin to finish them off.

The first one was started in 2004 and got to a certain point in 2005 and then just sat there, collecting dust... Quite a lot of it lol.

I'll be doing them one at a time in amongst other commissions and projects but as I am really pleased with how this one turned out I'm hoping to get them all finished to a similar state.

The only problem is the 6mm mdf base but it was too much work to remove it so the remaining ones will have to have the same thick bases to match. I'm thinking for gaming bards to have a selection of 300mm squares with various features that can be cast to save me going mad sticking the floor slabs on.

The main construction is card and balsa with some resin bits here and that and the roof tiles are card and stuck on one at a time... I won't be doing that again in a hurry lol

The things left to do for finishing were one half of the roof, the tower roof, about a third of the balsa wood and painting. When I get a few more done I'll take some pictures with some of the old metal Empire figures as I am painting them at the same time, along with some Skaven enemies.




















ttfn

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really awesome. Impressive from the beginning to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How this is impressive work. James you simply amaze me with every new post on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gary, hopefully it's all inspiration for you :-)

      cheers

      James

      Delete
  3. Bloody excellent mate. I love some old school Empire so looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, got plenty to go :-)

      cheers

      James

      Delete
  4. Beautiful stuff. I don't mind the 6mm base; it certainly won't be as prone to warping like 3mm bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I was going use 3mm acrylic instead but the 6mm kind of works :-)

      cheers

      James

      Delete
  5. Very cool. I love the irregularity of it and all the small details. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the builds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this building, absolutly superb, fantastic and realistic details!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great modelling - just right for the old GW figures.
    Simon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, hoping to get some troops done soon.

      cheers

      James

      Delete
  8. Great work Jim truly inspirational.

    Willie

    ReplyDelete